1 an arrangement of people or things acting as a unit; "a defensive formation"; "a formation of planes"
2 a particular spatial arrangement
3 the fabrication of something in a particular shape [syn: shaping]
4 the act of forming something; "the constitution of a PTA group last year"; "it was the establishment of his reputation"; "he still remembers the organization of the club" [syn: constitution, establishment, organization, organisation]
5 (geology) the geological features of the earth [syn: geological formation]
6 natural process that causes something to form; "the formation of gas in the intestine"; "the formation of crystals"; "the formation of pseudopods"
7 creation by mental activity; "the formation of sentences"; "the formation of memories"
- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- Something possessing structure or form.
- The act of assembling a group or structure.
- Rock or face of a mountain.
- A grouping of military units or smaller formations under a command, such as a brigade, division, wing, etc.
- An arrangement of moving troops, ships, or aircraft, such as a wedge, line abreast, or echelon. Often "in formation".
- The process of influencing or guiding a person to a deeper understanding of a particular vocation.
something possessing structure or form
act of assembling a group or structure
process of influencing or guiding a person to a deeper understanding of a particular vocation
Formation can refer to:
- Aerobatic formation, aerobatics performed with several aircraft
- Formation (military), a high-level military organization
- Formation (paper property), defining the fibre distribution within the paper sheet
- Tactical formation, the physical deployment of military forces
- Formation (football), tactical formation in association football
- Formation (American football), a set-up before the snap in American football
- Formation (album), a music album by Kirk Fogg
- Derivation (linguistics), the process of creating new lexemes from other lexemes
- Back-formation, a word formed from an erroneous reconstruction an original linguistic form from a form mistakenly thought to be derived from it.
- Class formation, an axiomatization of class field theory in mathematics
- Offer and acceptance, an analysis of contract formation in law
- Geologic formation, a formally named rock stratum or geological unit
- A "cave formation" or speleothem
- Forming a coalition government, as performed by a formateur
- Formation Records, a record label
formation in German: Formation
formation in Esperanto: Formacio
formation in French: Formation
formation in Japanese: フォーメーション
formation in Slovak: Formácia
Platonic form, Platonic idea, accumulation, acronym, acrostic, aesthetic form, allocation, allotment, anatomy, appearance, apportionment, archetype, architectonics, architecture, arrangement, array, arraying, art form, assemblage, assembly, avyayibhava, back formation, build, building, buildup, cast, casting, clipped word, close formation, collation, collocation, combination, composition, compound, concord, configuration, conformation, conjugate, constitution, construction, conversion, crafting, craftsmanship, creation, crystallization, cultivation, cut, deployment, design, development, devising, display, disposal, disposition, distribution, dvandva, dvigu, echelon, effectuation, efformation, elaboration, embodiment, endocentric compound, erection, establishment, exocentric compound, extraction, fabric, fabrication, fashion, fashioning, figuration, figure, forging, form, format, formation flying, formature, forming, formulation, foundation, founding, frame, framing, generation, genesis, genre, getup, grouping, growing, handicraft, handiwork, harmony, harvesting, impression, inauguration, inception, incorporation, inner form, installation, institution, junction, layout, lineup, machining, make, makeup, making, manufacture, manufacturing, marshaling, materialization, matrix, milling, mining, mixture, modality, mode, model, modeling, mold, molding, morphogenesis, morphogeny, order, ordering, organic structure, organism, organization, organizing, paronym, pattern, patterning, peace, physique, piecing together, placement, plan, prefabrication, preparation, processing, producing, production, proportion, prototype, putting together, quiet, quietude, raising, realization, refining, regimentation, regularity, routine, sculpture, set, set-up, setting-up, setup, shape, shaping, significant form, smelting, spoonerism, stamp, structure, structuring, style, symmetry, syneresis, syntax, synthesis, system, tatpurusha, tectonics, texture, tissue, tranquillity, turn, type, uniformity, warp and woof, weave, web, word form, workmanship